PhysioEx™ 9.0: Laboratory Simulations in Physiology with 9.1 Update is an easy-to-use laboratory simulation software and lab manual that consists of 12 exercises containing 63 physiology lab activities that can be used to supplement or substitute wet labs. PhysioEx allows students to repeat labs as often as they like, perform experiments without harming live animals, and conduct experiments that are difficult to perform in a wet lab environment because of time, cost, or safety concerns.
PhysioEx 9.1 Update features input data variability that allows students to change variables and test out various hypotheses for the experiments. 9.1 retains the popular new improvements introduced in 9.0 including onscreen step-by-step instructions and “Stop & Think” and “Predict” questions that help students think about the connection between the experiments and the physiological concepts they demonstrate.
Table of Contents
- Cell Transport Mechanisms and Permeability
- Skeletal Muscle Physiology
- Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses
- Endocrine System Physiology
- Cardiovascular Dynamics
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Respiratory System Mechanics
- Chemical and Physical Processes of Digestion
- Renal System Physiology
- Acid-Base Balance
- Blood Analysis
- Serological Testing.
- 63 lab activities cover topics such as cell transport, skeletal muscle contraction, irritability and conductivity of neurons, hormones and metabolism, cardiovascular dynamics, respiratory processes, digestion, glomerular filtration, acid/base balance, and more.
- Students have the flexibility to experiment with multiple variables and observe how outcomes are affected. Experimental data can be recorded on screen and printed out as hard copies.
- Lab worksheets fully support students by walking them through each lab step-by-step.
- Online worksheets in multiple-choice format are available for each lab, providing the student instant feedback on how they understand the lab results. The worksheets may also be emailed to instructors as assignments.
- Short video clips of certain lab equipment in use help students make connections between on-screen renderings and the real equipment they represent. The seven videos demonstrate the following experiments: Skeletal Muscle, Blood Typing, Cardiovascular Physiology, Water-Filled Spirometry, Nerve Impulses, BMR Measurement, and Cell Transport.
- Review Sheets follow their respective exercise and ask the questions one would pose after the student has done the lab exercises.
- Illustrations relate the onscreen lab equipment to the corresponding human body structures in certain labs to help students understand the relationship.
- Online format with easy step-by-step instructions so everything the student needs to do is located in one convenient place.After the student performs a step, instructions for the next step appear. Students gather data, analyze results, and check their understanding all on screen.
- Stop & Think Questions and Predict Questions help students think about the connection between the activities and the physiological concepts they demonstrate. As the students go through the steps of an experiment, they’re asked Stop & Think questions about the activity and the relevant physiological principles to check their understanding before moving on. Students are also asked to make predictions about the results for an experiment to apply what they have learned before seeing the results.
- Greater data variability in the results reflects more realistic results students would encounter in real wet-lab experiments.
- Lots of opportunities to assess understanding via pre-lab quizzes, post-lab quizzes, and short-answer review sheets are offered to students for every activity.
- Students can save their Lab Report as a PDF, add their name, and then print and/or email the file to their instructor.
- A Test Bank of assignable pre-lab and post-lab quizzes for use with TestGen® or their course management system is provided for instructors.